Hello Avid Reader,
Yes… It’s true… I have succumbed to the coolest gadget of them all; The Apple iPhone.
I resisted for a while (mainly due to it only being available on O2 in the UK), but in the end managed to get O2 to take over our 12 phone contract from Orange, give us 3 iPhone’s and 5 Nokia E71′s (plus a couple of spare phones), and even pay our termination clause on the Orange contract. It just shows how desperate the carriers are to get you tied into a 2 year contract nowadays!
First impressions; As with all Apple packaging, you feel a little disappointed as it is always very minimalist, but once you start playing with the iPhone, you realise why it is so much better than the other touch enabled devices out there. I’ve had the LG Prada, HTC Touch, HTC Touch Pro, and even the Samsungs with touch sensative buttons. I can honestly say that they are not even in the same ball-park as the iPhone.
Ok, onto the top free Apps (and as always, please feel free to comment with your fav’s as well!)
- Free RSS Reader – forget the others, this does exactly what it say’s on the tin. Add all your favourite feeds, or browse to a site and it automatically detects any feeds that are available. Supports Landscape
- Google Earth – Just because it is sooooo cool to zoom in on your own house. Supports ’tilt’ view.
- eBay – Yes… I do need to know what I am bidding on or selling 24/7 !!!!
- iTranslate – this does need a data connection, but allows you to save phrases so that you can prepare for your encounter at the patisserie in advance! – Also has the ability to play the phrase (a little scratchy, but still useful!) out of the speaker/headphones.
- last.fm – Ideal for all those Audioscrobblers out there… plays your fave’s and lets you listen to the usual last.fm radio selections.
- MMS – because the iPhone can’t do this yet!
- VNC Lite – Allows me to manage a server remotely. It’s a bit fiddly, but it does let you do everything you need to in an emergency (e.g. Reboot the server or reload your software)
- midomi – Remember “Shazam!”… well that cost’s £1.00 per go!… Midomi is *free* (and surprisingly recognised me humming the Godfather theme!)
- Stanza – good intuitive eBook reader
- GuitarChords – handy pocket aide-memoir for all your Guitar Chord needs
- Ok, this one is a ‘Paid for’ (£2.99) application called TV Plus, but what a fantastic applet… this program allows you to view the TV listings for your region, and then instruct your Sky+ or SkyHD box to record it no matter where you are! It uses a pre-registered “My Sky” account name / password to log into Sky and then remotely instruct your Sky box to record!
- Pac Man Lite – Namco’s original, now ported to the iPhone
- Jellycar – I can’t even begin to explain this… just download it and laugh!
- Labyrinth LE – great use of the inertia sensors for marble madness fun.
- Darts -yep… it’s Darts!
- FS5 Hockey – Remember those happy days at the seaside playing Air Hockey with your sister!
1. Removing an App or rearranging the ‘Desktops’
If you hold down your finger on any icon for more than a few seconds and all the icons wobble. Once they are wobbling, you can drag them from one ‘desktop’ screen to another. You can also delete them by clicking on the (X) icon in the top-left of the icon.
2. Drag an App to the far right-screen to create a new ‘desktop’ area.
Ok, this is a problem at the moment, only solved by using 3rd party app’s.
Here is a solution for contacts only (calendar to follow shortly apparantly)
1. Install Funambol Mozilla Plugin into your copy of Thunderbird [link]
2. Install the Funambol iPhone app (just search for it in the Apple App store)
3. Create a free account at Funambol [link]
4. Enter the account details into the options page of Funambol on both the iPhone and Thunderbird
5. Click on Tools, Funambol Plugin on Thunderbird and click on ‘Click to Syncronize’ and wait to finish
6. Click on the Funambol icon on your iPhone and do the same
You can set Thunderbird to sync both the contacts and calendar, but only the contacts arrive on the iPhone at present. The Thunderbird client can also be set to sync automatically (but not the iPhone end)